Report: Cornell Ranked 11th Best University in World

July 15, 2014 9:47 pm6 comments

By TYLER ALICEA

Cornell University is the 11th best university in the world and the 9th best in the United States, according to a report from the Center for World University Rankings. 

This year’s ranking marks an increase in rating for the University, which was rated as the 13th best university in the world last year by the CWUR. This year, Harvard University took the title for best university in the world for the third year in a row.

Uris Library and McGraw Tower (Oliver Kliewe / Sun File Photo)

The CWUR — based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia —  used a total of eight indicators, including quality of teaching, quality of faculty and alumni employment, to rank the world’s top 1,000 universities in its report.

Below are Cornell’s ranking for each of the report’s criteria:

Quality of Education: 12
Alumni Employment: 18
Quality of Faculty: 19
Publications: 23
Influence: 15
Citations: 23
Broad Impact: 23
Patents: 12

Dartmouth College — ranked at number 44 — and Brown University — ranked at 81 — are  the only Ivy League schools that did not appear in the top 15 on the list.

Click here for the entire rankings list from the CWUR.

Comments

Tags:
  • mgweissman

All due respect, someone needs to explain to me how the University of Chicago ranks ahead of CU. And while MIT is world-renowned for it’s technical achievements, how can it be ranked so high overall given its limited breadth of studies as compared to the other ones listed? And 4 times better than Cornell in quality of education?! Makes no sense, b/c, again, my hunch is all of those MIT award winners were in technical fields and no others. Not to mention Cornell’s premier engineering school unto itself. And even disregarding any partiality, NYU ranks ahead of Hopkins and Duke?

• paul

It’s a crappy ranking. Don’t pay any attention to it.

• GeoffZoref

It’s’s not that I’m not proud of my Alma Mater, but I don’t trust these sorts of ranking. They usually rank inputs, such as student to teacher ratio, number of libraries, acceptance rate, etc.. But what about the outputs? That should be the must important metric, and they often leave it out all together, like in the US News and World Report rankings.

• Ryan Rodriguez

The article specifically says all the criteria metrics and Cornell’s ranking in each- Quality of Education, Alumni employment, Quality of Faculty, publications, Influence, citations, broad impact, and patents. The vast majority of these metrics are outputs.

• GeoffZoref

fair enough. I guess I was just referring to the US News and World Report rankings, which remain the most important college rankings for American stuDents when choosing a college. Do great for us then.

• oiur

YAY Cornell can now raise tuition!!!!! Skorton gets another million!!!! Hooray!!! More money for them and less for me!!!!