W. Tennis Goes North

In-state rivals abound in this weekend’s SUnity Invitational on the campus of Syracuse University, as the Cornell women’s tennis team takes on a host of New York schools including Colgate, Albany, Binghamton, and the host Orangemen. Outsider Providence will also attend the tounament.

Angela Rudert, in her third year as head coach, is prognosticating that Syracuse and Cornell should be the top two squads in the event, adding that Providence would also be in the mix but for a lack of depth.

“It’s not going to be the most difficult field, but it’s a good warmup for the rest of the season,” said junior Becky Sendrow.

Unlike the spring campaign when dual meets are the main fare, the fall season tournaments features flights of matches.

Accordingly, the Red is afforded the opportunity to take all 11 players on the team.

“It’s great opportunity for everyone to play,” Rudert explained, adding, “We’re looking at this as a practice tournament.”

The team only started official practice yesterday.

After a spring during which she compiled a 22-9 singles record and garnered All-Ivy First Team honors, sophomore Suzanne Wright will miss the fall season due to medical reasons.

Sendrow, senior Ngozi Amobi, and sophomore Daniela DelPrete will lead the Red into action this weekend.

With the season in its initial stages, Rudert has not yet finalized her line-up and will use the SUnity tourney firm it up.

“I’m really not sure who’s going to be the no. 1 [player],” Rudert noted.

Archived article by Shiva Nagaraj