Men's Soccer Faces Defending Ivy Champs

Revenge is sweet.

After seeing its Ancient Eight championship ambitions thwarted at the hands of a defeat to the Yale Bulldogs last year, the men’s soccer team is hoping to turn the tables Saturday night when its foes from New Haven come to town.

A win would result in an early 2-0 start in league play and place the Red on track to remain highly competitive for the crown. Yet Yale, the defending Ivy League champions, should present a formidable challenge.

After advancing to the second round of the NCAA tournament last year and tallying a school-record 13 wins, Yale remains among the favorites for the league title.

The squad is noted for its stingy defense. Danny Moss, who controls the action between the pipes, has been named the team’s captain after coming off a season in which he posted a dominating 1.03 goals against average. The senior’s play contributed to the daunting .526 shutout percentage the team owned.

Sophomore Jay Alberts will likely earn the attention of the Red’s defense. The midfielder had an awe-inspiring freshman season, garnering All-Ivy honors in a campaign which saw him notch 21 points, 15 coming in Ancient Eight competition. It was the best point output by an Yale freshman in the program’s history. The Whitfield School graduate even caught the eye of Soccer America, who named him to its All-Freshman team.

An All-New England team member, Alberts is joined by a corp of talented midfielders including senior Matt Schmidt, junior James Pearce, and sophomores John Walker and Nick Morris.

Yale was weakened by the graduation of prolific scorers Jac Gould and Phil Harris. Despite losing these offensive threats, the Bulldogs should be strengthened by a strong front line of diaper dandies including Justin Burton, Allen Cerasani and Mike Hollington.

The Bulldogs come into Ithaca owning a 3-4 mark. For the visitors, the contest will mark the opening of their Ivy League campaign. Moss continues to be a stalwart in net — all of Yale’s wins have come as the result of shutouts.

The Red return to the East Hill coming off a solid performance against regional-rival Colgate. On the positive end of a 3-1 decision, the booters improved to 3-2 (1-0, Ivy).

Senior Adam Skumawitz continues to strike fear in the hearts of defenders. The Ivy League Player of the Week continued to dominate having tallied a pair of goals in each of his last two games. Friday’s game marked the first time the Californian has scored two goals in a single game. He now has nine points in the last two games, a record since Bryan Scales took over patrol of the sidelines at Berman Field.

Cornell will continue to look to all-time assist leader senior tri-captain Rick Stimpson to establish offensive opportunities. The Chesire, England, native had an unassisted goal to open the scoring in last Tuesday’s contest against the Red Raiders.

The Red will likely counter Moss with sophomore Doug Allen, who recorded his fourth career victory with six saves in the seventy-three minutes he played at Hamilton. Scales inserted fellow Californian Andrew Gordon for the final 17 minutes against Colgate. It was Gordon’s first start at the varsity level.

The road to the title will continue, with the contest being slated for a 7 p.m. start time on Saturday evening at Berman Field.

Archived article by Gary Schueller