Volleyball to Face Columbia

After sweeping its three games in the Siena Invitational, the women’s volleyball team has rebounded from a tough home stand. Coming into last weekend, the Red was 4-3 and in danger of falling under .500 unless it could pull together. Three games later the team was back on track and geared for its first Ivy match.

At the Siena Invitational, senior middle-blocker Robin Moore was named tourney MVP for her 35 kill, 31 dig performance over the weekend. Freshman outside-hitter Debbie Quibell was also named to the all-tournament team after posting 35 kills and 22 digs, while freshman setter Rachel Rice carried the offense over the two days with 122 assists.

Tonight the Red is heading to Jersey City to face St. Peter’s College. The Peahens enter this weekend with a 1-9 record on the year. This match up will add a little international flavor to the road trip, as the team’s leading duo hail from Bulgaria. Junior middle-blocker Valentina Zaharieva leads the team in hitting with .240, in kills with 157, and also leads the team with 111 digs. Senior outside-hitter Iliana Valtchanova is second on the team with 96 kills and 79 digs on the year. Senior setter Beth Lynch will also prove an offensive threat as she has notched 245 assists on the year.

After a quick stop over in New Jersey, the Red is heading to the Big Apple to take on its first Ivy opponent in Columbia. This is not quite the same team as the one who last year beat the Red 3-1. With the loss of three key players, the Lions have just one senior on their large 16 women roster. However, with additions of nine strong players, six hailing from the West coast, this team cannot be taken lightly.

Either because of the sand or the sun, California is known for producing nationally-ranked volleyballers. Columbia has tapped this resource and carry 10 Californians on its roster, which may explain its 12-2 record. In 10 out of the 12 wins, the Light Blue has emerged with a 3-0 victory and only once has gone into the fifth game of a match. Since the Lions have not faced nationally ranked powerhouses like San Diego State, its record is somewhat tarnished, but still impressive.

Columbia has three players with more than 100 kills and three with more than 100 digs. Sophomore outside-hitter Katie Beauregard lead her team last weekend with 69 digs, and leads the team with 176 on the year. She has also posted 123 kills on the year which makes her both an offensive and defensive threat. Sophomore middle-blocker Kathy Lavold is also an offensive demon. She is hitting .367 on the year, and leads the team with 138 kills, 41 blocks, and 22 service aces.

After beginning the Ivy season facing the Lions, the Red will head into fall break with matches against Yale and Brown on October 6th and 7th.

Archived article by Katherine Granish