Golfers Finish Season

The Cornell golf team finished its fall season this wekend at the Binghamton Invitational.

The team had a two-day total of 648. Binghamton won the event, and Pennsylvania took second. However, the Red did post a lower score than Columbia, a team which normally challenges for the Ivy title.

On Saturday the team shot 320, led by senior Conor Brownell who shot 75, the second best score of the day in the entire field. Sophomore Ross LaFleur shot 80, freshman Justin Watzka fired an 81, and junior Tim Roth earned an 84.

Yesterday the team shot a 328 led by Roth, who shot 78. Brownell and Watzka both shot 83, while LaFleur netted an 84. Senior Dave Schmidt also traveled with the team. However, the team had to deal with a three-hour frost delay, which forced today’s round to be a shotgun start. This lead to six-hour round for everyone.

On the weekend, Brownell’s 158 was low for the Red.

“Conor should be proud of what he accomplished over the weekend,” head coach Matt Baughan said.

The coach was also proud of the effort his team put in on the weekend, as well as the entire fall.

“We beat Columbia for the first time since I have been here,” he said. “Overall the team should be very proud of what it did this fall, as it was 20 to 25 shots better than last spring.”

Archived article by J.V. Anderton