Men Score Early, But Can't Hold On Late

The Cornell men’s soccer team went into Providence, R.I., on a mission yesterday afternoon. A win against the Brown Bears, who were undefeated in Ivy League play, would put the Red in good position to capture the Ivy League crown.

Unfortunately, the Red booters lost the match by a score of 3-2. Cornell now stands at 2-2 in Ivy play, and Brown goes to 4-0 to lead the league.

Freshman Ian Pilarski drew first blood in the match, taking a pass from senior Adam Skumawitz at 2:35 to beat Brown keeper Matthew Cross.

Skumawitz’s assist gives him a total of seven Ivy League points. He is now one point ahead of Dartmouth’s Tom Billings as the Ivy League’s top scorer.

After the Pilarski goal, the Bears struck back almost immediately. At 7:29, Brown’s Adam Crew fed teammate Adrian Rapp with a lead pass, which Rapp put past sophomore keeper Andrew Gordon.

The rest of the first half remained scoreless, but Brown, who has the top-rated offense in the Ivies, kicked it into high gear in the second half.

At 47:31, Scott Powers was awarded a free kick, which he booted past the Cornell wall and into the goal. Fifteen scoreless minutes later, the Bears pushed their lead to 3-1 on a one-timer goal.

Cornell kept fighting until the end, as senior co-captain Adam Brown scored his second goal of the season with less than three minutes to play in the match.

The next match for the Red is in three days, when it travels to Hartwick for a mid-week matchup.

Archived article by Tom McNulty