W. Hockey Hosts Ivy Pair Prior to Lengthy Road Trip

The Cornell women’s ice hockey team will be facing an all-Ivy weekend, starting tomorrow when the Red takes on Harvard and the concluding with a contest against Brown on Sunday.

Both faceoffs are scheduled for 2 p.m.

This weekend is not only a must-win situation if the Red wants to make a run for the Ivy title, but it is also Alumni Weekend.

Expecting about 25 former players in the stands, head coach Carol Mullins is hoping the extra support will be a factor. After a long road trip, Lynah Rink just may be the key ingredient needed to defeat the Ivy foes.

“I want a big crowd, and get the fans behind us,” she said.

Currently ranked second in the ECAC, Harvard will prove to be quite an opponent. Offensively, the Crimson have two standouts that the Red will need to shut down

Mullins acknowledges the danger of this tag team.

“When you try to close one down, the other one will come through. They are certainly dangerous,” she explained.

Strong goaltending is also one of Harvard’s assets.

However, Mullins says that the Crimson is beatable. It will take team defense and as many offensive opportunities as possible.

Sunday’s match is a do-or-die game for the Red. A win will be crucial if the team — currently tied with the Bears — wants to move up in the ECAC standings.

Despite a lower ranking, Brown actually has more depth than Harvard. Unlike Crimson, the Bears boast two solid lines that can take the ice. They also display great goaltending and a strong back line.

Mullins believes the Red will need to play as a team and outhustle the Bears in order to pull out the win.

In between the games, the Red will be celebrating Alumni Weekend with the former players. This includes post game receptions both tomorrow and Sunday. There will also be an alumni game at 11 a.m. on Sunday morning.

During the winter break the Red will be taking on Ohio State and the University of Findlay at home on December 30th and 31st. Cornell will then embark for an extremely long road trip which includes a four-game Ivy run, against Brown, Harvard, Yale and the Princeton.

The Red’s first home game will come against Boston College on January 27th. Cornell will look to increase its record to 33-0-1 against the Eagles.

Archived article by Kristen Haunss