Gymnastics Places Sixth

The Cornell gymnastics team placed sixth at the George Washington Invitational this past weekend with a score of 184.750. North Carolina State won the competition with a score of 192.350. George Washington University placed second and William & Mary finished third.

The highlight of the competition was the high placement of freshman Stefanie Daehler and sophomore Abby Vedder. The two competitor’s impressive finishes landed them in the Cornell record books.

Daehler was the squad’s top finisher on the uneven bars and in the floor exercise. The floor competition earned Daehler a fifth place all-time ranking at Cornell. She finished ninth at the competition with a score of 9.675. On the uneven bars Daehler and classmate Rachel Goldberg tied for 17th place with a score of 9.200.

On the balance beam, Vedder scored a 9.750, the team’s highest finish of the day. This tied her for second on Cornell’s all-time list. Vedder was also the only team member to compete in the all-around, placing 11th with a total score of 36.225.

On the vault, freshman Denise Hurd finished 15th and was the team’s highest finisher in this event.

The Red will return to the road this weekend as it travels to the University of Massachusetts on January 27 at 4 p.m.

Archived article by Kristen Haunss