Gymnastics Returns Home

If the satisfaction of return to the friendly confines of Teagle Gymnasium is not enough for the women’s gymnastics team, it will have the allure of breaking records to motivate it for this Saturday’s Big Red Invitational.

After posting modest results in its opening four weekends, Cornell will look for a breakout weekend as it plays host to Southern Connecticut and a trio of regional foes in Syracuse, Ithaca and Cortland. This get-together usually marks the height of the home calendar, but it is rivaled in light of the fact the ECAC tournament will take place on East Hill.

The five squads will compete in five events: balance beam, vault, floor exercise and uneven bars. Sophomore Abby Vedder, the first All-American in Cornell gymnastics history, will be the lone Cornellian entering the all-around competition.

Head coach Paul Beckwith predicts the Red’s best showing to come on the beam and floor.

In addition to the excitement of an anticipated standing room only crowd, Vedder and freshman Denise Hurd will have the opportunity to write their names in the history books. Vedder is coming off a strong weekend in a triangle match against Bridgeport and MIT, including a first place finish on the balance beam. The standout rookie collected a top spot of her own in the vaulting competition.

With Southern Connecticut neck and neck with the Red in the USA Gymnastics College Division, Cornell’s showing in this weekend’s engagement could have ramifications on seeding for the NCAA tournament.

The competition is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m. With three of the teams expected to bring large contingents of fans to the match, Beckwith urged Cornell fans to arrive early.

Archived article by Gary Schueller