Big Red Lady Netters Look To Continue Winning Streak

The lady netters are looking to keep their undefeated season going this weekend as they head down to Penn State to face the Nittany Lions and Eastern Michigan. After four big wins in three days last weekend, the Red is riding a strong wave through the spring season.

“We’ve got momentum on our side,” said head coach Angela Rudert. “We feel good.”

Impressive Wins

Cornell swept the University of Maryland at Baltimore County, UMass and Binghamton 7-0 after knocking off Syracuse 4-3. The victory over the Orangewomen took the losers out of the national rankings.

After last year’s trouncing at the hands of the Nittany Lions, the ladies are looking for some redemption this weekend, and hope to topple another nationally-ranked team.

Cornell will be facing Eastern Michigan for the first time.

The outstanding performance by the Red so far this season is a result of playing with confidence, especially in singles.

“We’ve been playing our big points very gutsy,” said Rudert.

New doubles combinations will be tested out at this weekend’s tournament in hopes of finding the right pairs before the Ivy season.

Challenges Ahead

But it may be a tough road for the doubles teams down in Pennsylvania since Penn State has one of the strongest set of doubles combos in the conference.

“We have a stronger team than we did last year,” said Rudert. “We need to win more doubles points [if] we want to make our team even stronger.”

With a loss-free record on the line, the lady netters hope to return to Ithaca one step closer to being nationally ranked.

Archived article by Sun Staff