Men's Tennis Looks to Extend Unblemished Record

Most people who go to Florida over spring break do so to relax and get away from the pressures of school. Unfortunately for the Red, the men’s tennis team doesn’t quite have that luxury. While others soak up the sunshine at the beach, the men will be sweating it out on the courts of southern Florida, hoping that their unbeaten record will remain intact when classes resume.

Last weekend saw the men edging out Army 4-3 at West Point, improving their overall mark to 9-0. The win gives the team a huge psychological boost heading into a difficult part of the schedule.

While the match-up with Army proved to be the toughest challenge for the men so far this season, they will face even stiffer opposition down in Florida. Last year, the team lost its unbeaten mark during the break to Florida Atlantic, while Lynn and Miami also inflicted defeats on the Red all in the same trip. The men will have an opportunity to avenge each one of those defeats, in addition to playing Florida A&M and Barry.

In last year’s match-up against Florida Atlantic, the Red fell 7-0 with sophomore Mike Mestel taking a sole set. The men then lost a closer encounter to Lynn 6-3, before suffering a 6-1 defeat at the hands of Miami. However, they finished the break on a high note with victory over DePaul at Florida International.

This year, the grueling schedule has the Red facing five opponents in a span of only six days. The depth of the team, which has been instrumental in its success this year, will be put to the test. If the players can come away from Florida with at least a couple wins against formidable tennis schools, it will prepare them nicely for the start of Ivy League play at Columbia on March 31.

Archived article by Soo Kim