Golf Starts Spring

For their first tournament action of the spring season, the members of the golf team will travel to Maryland for the Towson Tournament, which takes place today and ends Sunday.

Around 20 schools are expected to compete in the event. Among them will be several Ivy League representatives including Columbia, Penn, Princeton, Yale and Cornell. Most of the other schools will likely be from the ECAC.

“This tournament is pretty important because it enables us to see our Ivy League competition and gauge our future opponents,” said junior Dave Nayak.

Nayak will lead the Red into action. Joining him on the trip will be seniors Connor Brownell, Frank Ross, sophomore Ross LaFleur, and freshman Justin Watzka.

Although the golfing conditions in Ithaca are less than perfect due to the temperamental weather, the Red was able to spend Spring Break practicing in Florida.

“This year’s spring trip was really beneficial to us,” Nayak commented, adding that as a result, “Our team feels pretty confident.”

Cornell played in four tournaments during the fall. Its best finish was a tenth place at Binghamton in October.

After the Towson Tournament, the team returns to the links next weekend when it heads to the Yale Tournament.

Archived article by Shiva Nagaraj