Baseball Hosts Penn St.

The Cornell baseball team (5-6, 1-1 Ivy) will take another stab at a home opener this afternoon when the it hosts Penn State (12-15, 5-1 Big Ten) in a twinbill on Hoy Field at 1:00 p.m.

Three games in Ithaca have been rescheduled due to inclement weather already this year, but an optimistic forecast should allow the Nittany Lions to get on the field with the Red come game time. With highs in the 40s and no precipitation expected, the men hope the diamond will be clear of snow for the first time this spring.

The original start to the home season was slated for March 28 with a doubleheader against LeMoyne, but both games were snowed out. A second attempt at resuming action on the next day also failed. Those two games have yet to be played.

Last Saturday’s scheduled pair of contests against Brown are also the result of postponements. Sunday’s twinbill with Yale — originally set to be played at Hoy — was played last weekend in New Haven, Conn.

Head coach Tom Ford’s troops are coming off of a split against the Bulldogs, dropping the Ivy League opener 6-4 in a 10-inning marathon but rebounding ferociously with a 14-5 thumping in the nightcap. Junior Erik Rico picked up the win in 5 2/3 innings of work.

Meanwhile, Penn State enters the game riding high on a five-game winning streak during which it has outscored opponents 27-7. The Lions last saw action on Saturday in a doubleheader against Michigan, but their Sunday game against the Wolverines was canceled.

Archived article by Alex Fineman