Golf Competes for Ivy Title in N.J.

This Saturday and Sunday the men’s golf team will return to action at the Metedeconk National Golf Course in Jackson, N.J. for the 2001 Ivy League Tournament. The Red had to settle for eighth place last year, but all three of its top scorers from that run will be back on the course this year.

Cornell has been led all season by these three men — juniors Tim Roth and David Nayak, and senior Conor Brownell. The team looks to benefit from its experience, in past Ivy championships, as well as on the Metedeconk course.

More importantly, the team has been practicing on the links daily since all the snow has melted away — something it hasn’t experienced thus far this season.

“Because of the great shape of our golf course, we’ve had a lot of opportunity to practice,” Nayak said.

Junior Tim Roth, who was Cornell’s highest finisher at the tournament last April, commented on the New Jersey site, which was home to the 2000 championships as well.

“Metedeconk is a quality course that requires a lot of thinking,” he said.

“I think we’re all really looking forward to it. We all played really solid in the inner-squad rounds last weekend,” Roth said.

Nayak seconded Roth’s sentiments: “We’ve all been playing solid recently, and hopefully if we perform up to our full potential, we’ll compete for the Ivy title.”

The Red has had a more successful season than in years past, and is optimistic as it travels to the tournament this morning.

“We are quite confident in our games heading into this weekend’s tournament,” Nayak explained. “For the past season we’ve been really competitive with other Ivy League teams.”

This weekend’s competition will mark the Red’s second Ivy Tournament drive under new head coach Matt Baughan, who was named to the position last November.

Archived article by Sun Staff