Hartigan Newest Face in Athletic Communications

Some people wander through life seeking a career they are passionate about. Many will never find it, but for Jeremy Hartigan at the ripe age of 25 the search is complete. The Albany native was appointed Cornell University’s assistant director of athletic communications earlier this month. And though his new responsibilities are varied, when asked his favorite part of his job Hartigan will lean back in his chair, a look of utter contentment crossing his youthful face, and simply reply, “Waking up in the morning, to do something I love.”

Hartigan, a graduate of the prestigious journalism program at St. Bonaventure University, knew he would be in the sports world from an early age, initially hoping to pursue a career as a baseball player. But as that possibility dimmed, Hartigan did not relinquish the desire to work close to the field he was so fervent about becoming a part of.

He spent all four of his college years as a member of the St. Bonaventure sports information staff but an insatiable desire for experience helped expand his resume.

“I would do anything to get my feet wet,” he reflected.

Hartigan’s talents earned him a position as the sports director for his campus radio station, WSUB, and paved the way for his ascent to sports editor at his college paper, The Bona Venture, a post he held for two years. Under his tenure, the publication was among the best non-daily college papers in the country.

Hartigan’s professional career in the media relations world began in the University of Cincinnati’s sports information department. When an internship in the office became available, Hartigan abruptly sent his resume for consideration. One day later, sans interview, Cincinnati offered him the position. Hartigan accepted and endured a 22-hour drive from upstate New York to Ohio to start a few days later. At the conclusion of his internship, he was offered a full time slot.

While with the Bearcats, he was responsible for media relations for 15 of the teams on campus ranging from volleyball to baseball. In addition he served as the editor of the football and men’s basketball game day programs, a prodigious task considering each publication spans 128 pages of full color. His experience included two football bowl games and the NCAA basketball tournament.

And even though the prestige of the athletic programs at Cincinnati brought valuable public relations experience, Hartigan says the very purity of Ivy League athletics attracted him to East Hill.

“I like the small collegiate town feel. Cornell and the surrounding beautiful scenery is what you think of when you think of that type of place,” he said on his decision to move on to a post covering Big Red sports, adding that the opportunity to be closer to his family in Albany was a major factor in his career move.

In addition, his new job represented a promotion. At 25, he has all but reached the top position in his field (sports information director) and says the youth of his co-workers also played into his decision to come to East Hill.

Hartigan will cover volleyball, basketball and women’s lacrosse in his first year.

For a boy who dreamed of becoming a baseball player, the transition from the playing field to the newsroom brought a substantial change in scenery, it did nothing to diminish his ardor for athletics.

“They say ‘Those who can’t [play] write.’ I say those who love it write,” he professes wearing an ear to ear smile.

Archived article by Gary Schueller