Volleyball to See Several Changes

Three major rule changes are in effect for the upcoming Ivy League volleyball season.

First, and to the chagrin of some of the Ivy coaches, there will be a whole new way that the teams will play out their fall schedules.

Last season the Red faced each of its Ancient Eight foes once during the conference season. The postseason conference tournament followed, sending the eventual champion to the NCAA tournament.

Instead of only having one opportunity to stuff Princeton this year, the Red will have two opportunites during the in-conference regular season.

This double round robin format, in conjunction with the axing of the season-ending tournament, will intensify the in-conference matches and leave less room for error.

In past seasons, a team could drop a match to an opponent and then have the opportunity to exact revenge in the tournament.

Nevermore, says the majority vote amongst the Ivy League Athletic Directors, who voted this all into effect this year.

“This season will present a whole new set of challenges,” said coach Christie Jackson.

Remember the number two right?

The second change has to do with rally scoring. Fifteen points used to determine the victor of a set and now… you guessed it, thirty points is the new mark.

Jackson speculated, “All of these rule changes might be in effort to make the matches more television friendly.”

The third rule change makes the net serve kosher for play. In the past, if a serve coming over the net touched any part of the net cord and still managed to fall on the other side, the point was replayed. Now those instances are good for live play.

As a result of these changes, Jackson said that, “There will be a challenge to keep the team motivated through the whole season.”

Archived article by Donald Lee