C.U. Joins Nationwide Rallies for Peace Efforts

In conjunction with student activists from around the country, Cornellians will again speak out in favor of peace and renounce violent action in response to the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center just over a week ago.

Students within and outside of activist communities on campus will participate in a rally for peaceful justice beginning at 10 a.m. on Ho Plaza. Students and faculty members from various University departments will speak at the event, which has been organized in solidarity with 146 similar functions across the country to advocate justice rather than revenge in the wake of the national tragedy.

“We’ve been planning the event for five nights and more people have come each night; the people are not all from activist groups but everyone is just pulling together for this common cause,” said Lindsey Saunders ’03, one of the event organizers.

The Ithaca College community will join the rally, and the Cornell contingent plans to attend an overnight camp-out at Ithaca College tonight. A rally at Ithaca College will take place at 3 p.m. today.

Both the Cornell and Ithaca groups — in addition to other universities from around the country such as Duke, Yale, Berkeley and Wesleyan — are also holding rallies today in a unified peace effort.

“History has proven that violence begets violence. We cannot ignore that this act of terrorism is part of a larger historical and global picture,” according a statement drafted by the student coalition.

Saunders said that petitions for peace will be available at the rally for community members to sign.

“During this time of crisis we call upon Americans everywhere to reaffirm their commitment to the principles that make Americans a great people — our respect for freedom and liberty, our embrace of tolerance and diversity, and our commitment to due process and justice,” said Jerome Chavez, a student at the University of New Mexico, according to a statement released by the organizing coalition.

According to the release, over a thousand students and community members from Boston area schools will join together in an event that will involve a peace march through the city. At Wesleyan, the University of Wisconsin at Madison and the University of California at Berkeley — where over 3,000 people are expected to participate — students will march in a demonstration of peace.

Archived article by Alison Thomas