F. Hockey Falls in Double OT

Though the field hockey team fell 3-2 in double overtime to Brown yesterday, history was made on the turf at Schoellkopf Field as senior co-captain Ashleigh Snelson entered the record books.

Snelson moved in to 10th place on the all-time Cornell scoring list when she blasted a penalty corner past Brown goaltender Kathryn Noe at 1:37. This was the last home game of Snelson’s spectacular career.

“I am not much of a stats keeper, but my teammates and I were really excited. It didn’t hit me until I was off the field that it was my last game,” Snelson said. “It would have been more exciting if we had won.”

The Snelson goal wasn’t enough for the Red to top the Bears, though.

Sophomore Karleigh Burns made the score 2-0 when she scored off a penalty shot at 26:32, but that would be all for Cornell.

Brown struck for the first time just before the end of the first half, when it scored off a rebound at 32:25.

Liz Buza scored the lone goal in the second half off a centering pass from Meaghan Harwood.

The nets remained untouched for the remainder of regulation and through the first overtime thanks to some huge saves by both Noe and sophomore Tierney.

“It was the first double overtime game of my career. I think we need to score more goals when we have to,” Tierney said.

But, at 86:13, Molly Carleton ended the game, winning it for Brown.

The comeback victory made the Bears 7-5 overall (2-2 in the Ivies), and the loss but the Red below .500 in the league at 2-3, and 7-6 overall.

The Red will finish its regular season on the road in the next three weeks.

It travels to Princeton for a Saturday match against the Tigers and then a Sunday competition against American.

“We are playing more consistently than last year, but we are not capitalizing on our chances and the other teams are,” Snelson said. “Princeton is a nationally ranked team, and if we beat them it will open up all kinds of doors.”

Cornell will close out the season at Dartmouth on November 3.

Archived article by Josh Vlasto