W. Swim Meets Ivy Foes

The Cornell women’s swimming and diving team heads to Philadelphia tomorrow for a dual meet with Penn and Princeton.

The women’s swimming coach, Marrie Neumer, explained, “Penn has traditionally been one of our biggest rivals in the Ivy League.”

Rivals

When Penn and Cornell go head to head, sparks can be expected to fly.

The past couple seasons Penn has topped Cornell’s women in dual meets and overall standings, so when they meet up tomorrow it can be expected that the girls will be motivated by more than the sweetness of elusive victory.

Senior Shayne Geneva will head Cornell in the 100 and 200 yard breaststroke.

Geneva won both the 100 and 200 at Dartmouth this past weekend, posting season fast scores of 1:08:46 and 2:25:53, respectively.

Neumer excitedly announced, “Seniors, Anna Zemjanis and Kari Tornabene, are really taking charge this season and boosting the moral of the team.

“Liz Druy, a junior from Arlington, Va. is the best diver in the one and three meter events that our team has and one of the best in the Ivy League,” Neumer praised.

She is expected to capture first place in at least two competitions this weekend.

The team does not have any superstitious pre-meet rituals, although it does have a new strategy.

Strategy

Said Neumer: “The girls are focusing on a progressive training approach and are looking beyond wins and losses and simply taking on our biggest competitor, the clock.”

“If we win a meet that’s great and if not that’s not the end of the world,” emphasized Neumer.

The women are 1-1 going into tomorrow’s dual meet.

Archived article by Adam Zwecker