Clinton Joins C.U. in Study of Food Science

“We should be vigilant and aware. We should not be scared,” encouraged U.S. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.), who visited Cornell yesterday to participate in her fourth in a series of Bioterrorism Community Forums.

The forum panel, held in Barnes Hall, also included Prof. Kathryn J. Boor ’80, food science; Chuck Wright, a regional coordinator for the State Disaster Preparedness Program in the state’s Emergency Management Office; and Susan A. Henry, the Ronald P. Lynch dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

The former First Lady addressed the events of Sept. 11 and the aftereffects on New York State, the U.S. and the world. Noting the “vulnerability of our food production systems,” Clinton emphasized Cornell research as a tool in potentially combating this type of biological attack

“Cornell is probably the leading research institution with respect to food production and science research,” Clinton said, noting Cornell’s College of Veterinary Medicine Diagnostic Lab, which conducts research on human and animal related disease that could potentially affect food consumption.

The lab, according to its website, is the “only full-service, multidisciplinary animal disease diagnostic facility in the state