Tennis Squads Compete In Winter Tournaments

The women’s tennis team will battle Colgate and St. Bonaventure tomorrow at Reis Tennis Center in the first two dual matches of the season.

“We’re gonna use it as a start to what will hopefully be a great season,” said junior co-captain Daniela DelPrete.

The women are looking to build on last year’s performances, which placed them in the middle of the Ivy League rankings. With sophomore Piper Lucas returning from pre-season illnesses and four new freshmen, the Red tennis team is coming out swinging.

“I don’t think I’ve seen a freshman class more unified than this one,” said assistant coach Tom Brownlie.

The team will participate in its first tournament of the season next weekend at the Cornell Winter Invitational, where five teams will square off in a three-day tennis marathon.

Men’s tennis will take to the road this weekend for its first matches of the season. The team squares off against Richmond and hosts Virginia Commonwealth tomorrow and will take on Norfolk State and Old Dominion on Sunday.

“Everybody’s so eager to go,” head coach Barry Schoonmaker said about his players. “They’re ready to get out there and play.”

The sophomores will be the core of the team this year, with the class boasting six veterans.

“How much they step up will determine how well we do,” said Schoonmaker.

Freshman Zach Gallin is also expected to make hefty contributions to the Red. He only lost one match in the pre-season and will now lead the team in singles play.

“The biggest match is against VCU,” coach Schoonmaker said. “They’re one of the best teams in the nation. It’ll be fun to see how we match up.”

Archived article by Meredith Long