Healthy Tumblers Vie for Ivy League Title

Coming off a first-place win at the Hariett Marranca Invitational last Sunday at Ithaca College, the tumblers travel to Providence this weekend for the Ivy League Invitational. Cornell will be competing against host school Brown, as well as Yale and Penn.

She’s Back

This weekend marks the return of senior co-captain Cassandre Joseph, who will be competing in her first meet this year. Joseph, who was injured for the earlier part of the season, looks to improve on her school record in the floor exercise.

Rookies

Freshmen standouts Larissa Calka and Shellen Goltz will again be the all-arounders for the Red. Meghan Miller, also a freshman, will be competing in the uneven bars, and head coach Paul Beckwith believes she has a good shot at the championship in this event.

“The freshman class is really strong,” Beckwith commented. The key to doing well this weekend, according to Beckwith, will be to “hit all our routines…we can’t fall and hope some other teams fall too.”

Last Time Around

At last year’s Ivy Invitational, the Red tied with Brown for third place. Coach Beckwith is looking for Cornell’s highest finish in the last ten years.

“We’re peaking at the right time,” says Beckwith. The Red return home on March 3 to face Rutgers.

Archived article by Jonathan Auerbach