W. Hoops Visits Penn, P'ton

The women’s basketball team will conclude one its most successful campaigns in Cornell history when it travels to take on Ivy foes Penn and Princeton. The Red is coming off a pair of heart-wrenching losses to Harvard and Dartmouth that dashed its Ancient Eight championship ambitions.

Cornell entered last weekend 8-2 in league play and was all but eliminated from contention after dropping a double-overtime thriller to Harvard on Friday evening by a 77-75 count. Senior Breean Wallace guided the Red’s awe-inspiring performance tallying a career best 26-points on the evening.

Despite a commendable effort to take away the low post, Cornell could simply not match the Crimson’s significant height advantage. In the end Harvard’s victory in the rebound battle explained the outcome.

The following night the women could not overcome an early deficit and fell to the visiting Green by a six-point margin, 78-71.

Last Time

The Red made quick work of this weekend’s opponents at Newman Arena in early February.

Senior Do Stevens put on quite a show against defending Ivy champion Penn, scoring 19 points with eight assists. The phenom grabbed seven rebounds along with five steals as the Red cruised to a 77-61 victory.

The following evening the Red pounded the Tigers by a 77-52 count. Cornell used a strong inside-out game as well as a first-half 16-0 run to pace itself to the triumph.

Penn and Princeton both beat Brown and lost to Yale last weekend.

Archived article by