Track Competes at Sea-Ray, Columbia

This weekend, the men’s and women’s track teams will divide their squads as they race in both the Sea-Ray Relays and Columbia Invitational.

The Sea-Ray Relays is a large invitational located in Knoxville, TN. Tough competition from teams attending from all over the country is expected. Numerous East Coast schools will be among the 40 to 50 schools anticipated to enter the meet.

Cornell’s pole vaulters sophomore Travis Offner and senior Scott Lundy will face a tough matchup in Olympic silver medalist Lawrence Johnson.

The other half of the squad will travel to New York City to compete in the Columbia Invitational. This is also a large meet, at which junior Michael Harbeck anticipates seeing “some good performances.”

“Personally, I’m hoping to get a personal best of 15’9″,” he added.

Commenting on the team’s outlook this weekend Harbeck stated, “We have a very competitive team and a good group of guys are going”.

Volunteer assistant coach Nathan Jauvtist said, “This weekend is exciting because it’s a chance for guys who don’t normally get to travel an opportunity to show their stuff [in a competitive atmosphere.]”

Jauvtist also commented on the season thus far:

“The outdoor season is very short so we must take advantage of every opportunity. Physically, we are as good, if not better, than any [school in the nation.] Our team has a lot of heart and is very strong.”

Archived article by Joe Licitra