Cornell's Top 10 Freshmen

As each new class climbs the Hill each August, they carry with them expectations for success and aspirations for the beginning of something big. The Class of 2005 certainly lived up to these expectations in its rookie season, setting records and garnering several individual and team honors along the way. After much deliberation, the top 10 freshmen as selected by the sports staff of the Cornell Daily Sun.

Kate Boyles

Women’s Cross Country

The women’s cross country team earned its first national ranking (20) since 1998 in the fall of 2001, and Boyles was right in the thick of the harriers’ success. Boyles seemingly came out of nowhere, placing sixth at Heps and earning first team All-Ivy honors. Her 17:53.8 mark in the 5000m was a team best. She also scored for the Red at the Pre-National Meet and the Iona Invitational.

Sean Greenhalgh, Men’s Lacrosse

In perhaps the greatest compliment paid to him this season, Greenhalgh was double-teamed throughout Princeton’s 12-7 victory over the Red on April 20. By limiting Cornell’s most prolific scorer to just one goal, Princeton was able to prevail with the win.

With just one regular season game remaining, Greenhalgh has made his mark on the Red and its record books. His 33 goals and 35 total points are both Cornell freshman records. He also leads the Red with a .541 scoring average.

Elissa Kline

Women’s Swimming

Freestyle specialist Kline made waves in her rookie campaign, as her 1:53.68 in the 200m freestyle at the Ivy Championship was good enough for fourth-best all-time at Cornell. She also posted the Red’s top times of the season in the 100 freestyle and 200 individual medley. She was also a member of the 200, 400, and 800 freestyle relays as well as the 400 medley relay.

Travis Lee, Wrestling

It was a whirlwind season for 125-lb sensation Lee this year. In addition to placing seventh nationally in his weight class, the All-American was also named the EIWA and Ivy League Rookie of the Year. He won his weight class for the first time in his collegiate career at the New York State Championship in January, claiming the honor of Most Outstanding Wrestler for the tournament while leading Cornell to a first place finish.

David LeNeveu, Men’s Hockey

Splitting time between the pipes with senior All-American Matt Underhill, LeNeveu played a key role in the Red’s most successful season in many years in 2002. He was named to the ECAC All-Rookie team, posting the second best conference GAA (1.54) ever, trailing only teammate Underhill. He led the nation with a 1.50 GAA, and placed fourth with a .936 save percentage. His GAA was the second-best season mark in Cornell history, trailing only some guy named Dryden.

Lauren May, Softball

With its Ivy season complete and only five games remaining on its schedule, the softball team is well aware its most prolific player of 2002. May, the Red’s shortstop and No. 3 hitter has already broken the school records for home runs and RBI, with 16 and 48 respectively. She also leads the team in walks, batting average, total bases, and slugging percentage. She has been named the Ivy League Rookie of the Week twice this season and was named its Player of the Week once.

Meghan Miller, Gymnastics

Miller led a resurgence of the gymnastics team this year, collecting ECAC Rookie of the Week honors twice, as well as being named ECAC Rookie of the Year. The All-American was both the Ivy League and ECAC champion on the uneven bars and finished fourth nationally. She posted the top scores of the season for the Red in the uneven bars, balance beam and floor exercise. Her efforts helped the Red to score above 190 four times.

Steve Reuter, Men’s Soccer

Starting at forward in 13 of the Red’s 16 games, Reuter was the second leading scorer on the team, netting four goals and adding one assist. In the games in which Reuter scored, Cornell was 4-0. One of his four goals was against national powerhouse Penn State, which lost only three games in 2001. Reuter added a goal and an assist in Ivy play.

Tony Shultz, Men’s Diving

Shultz made a name for himself in his rookie campaign as the top 1m and 3m performer for the men’s diving team. He won both events at two meets and claimed the top spot in the 1m in three others. The leading scorer on the team, Shultz placed fifth in the 1m and ninth in the 3m at the EISL Championships in March.

Katie Thomas, Women’s Soccer

Twice named Ivy League Rookie of the Week, Thomas was placed in the unenviable position of goalkeeper for the women’s soccer team. Despite ending up on the short end of six shutouts, Thomas led the league with 104 saves. She also tied a school record with 17 saves in one game (against Stony Brook). Thomas played every minute of every game for the Red in 2001 and garnered an All-Ivy honorable mention nod.

Archived article by Owen Bochner