July 18, 2002

Graap '86 Receives National Honors

The 2002 season marked a breakthrough for the women’s lacrosse team and head coach Jenny Graap ’86. Despite a heartbreaking 12-10 loss in overtime to top-ranked Georgetown in the national semifinal, the Red completed its best season ever, compiling a record of 16-2.

In just her fifth season at the helm, the former Cornell lacrosse and field hockey star brought the program to a level of prominence it had never before enjoyed. After capping off a dream season with back-to-back home victories in the early rounds of the NCAA tournament, Graap was honored by her peers in June as the IWLCA Coach of the Year. She was also named the North Coach of the Year by Inside Lacrosse Magazine. Graap is the first Cornell head coach to be so honored.

The 2002 edition of the Red set school records in wins (16), consecutive wins (11), wins over ranked opponents (8), and conference wins (6). In the second round of the NCAA tournament, the Red snapped seven-time defending champion Maryland’s 21-game NCAA Tournament winning streak with a 14-4 whitewashing. Cornell also broke a personal 10-game slide against conference rival Dartmouth and twice defeated regional foe Syracuse.

Graap was the responsible for the development of 2002 All-Americans Jaimee Reynolds ’02, Carrie Giancola ’02, and seniors Sarah Averson and Erica Holvek — all of whom were in her inaugural recruiting class. Reynolds, Cornell’s all time leader in career goals and points, was named the Ivy League Player of the Year in 2002.

Despite the graduation of seven players from the 2002 squad, Graap will look to continue to lead the lady laxers to success in 2003.

Archived article by Owen Bochner