Sprint Football Romps Princeton Tigers, 22-10

The sprint football team hosted Princeton on Friday night through heavy downpour brought on by what appeared to be the storm of the century. The Red’s new and improved offense, fueled by a Spurrier-like decision to alternate play between two quarterbacks, helped the Red topple the Tigers of Princeton, 22-12.

After last week’s disappointing start — a loss to Pennsylvania — Cornell used its home-opener to prove it still has what it takes to get the job done in fashion.

Legendary head coach Terry Cullen made the decision to start from scratch and draw up a new offensive plan against the Tigers.

In the previous game against Pennsylvania, starting quarterback Charlie Tam, who stands in the shadow of the offensive line at 5-5, struggled to spot receivers downfield and get passes over the linemen.

This week, Cullen ran his offense from a shotgun formation, allowing Tam enough room to see downfield and even run the option when nobody was open. Run was what Tam did best, with 61 yards on 15 attempts.

Also in the rotation, freshman quarterback Alec Macauley helped spark the Red’s offense with over 60 yards passing in the second quarter alone, including a 19-yard touchdown strike to junior wide receiver Mike Ormsby.

Cornell place kicker Chris Garnic helped add some points for the Red with three field goals (24, 31, 38) and an extra point. Freshman running back Dan Tomaszewski also put points on the board with a two yard touchdown run early in the game.

The Red’s defense was led once again by the standout performance of senior linebacker Eric Eisenhart, who collected 17 tackles and a blocked extra point attempt.

Princeton quarterback Dennis Bakki managed to throw for over 180 yards of offense and was constantly plagued by the efficiency of the Red secondary.

The Sprint team hosts the midshipmen of Navy on Oct. 11 at Schoellkopf Field.

Archived article by Adam Zwecker