Campus Couture

The movie Scent of a Woman underscores the essence of a woman’s being that is captured in the mere fragrance of her scent. A blind Al Pacino is able to articulate with remarkable accuracy a woman’s physiognomy simply by catching a whiff of her perfume. With such loaded implications in a perfume, one must choose wisely on settling on a particular aroma — for the connotations that come with the scent will mark you for life.

Men, on the other hand, as long as they slather on a little something to mask that unmistakable masculine body odor, are good to go. They don’t face as high a risk of being stereotyped by the cologne they wear. But before you think you’re off the hook with your artillery of Arid Dry roll-on or Gillette aftershave, remember that women are most likely to mate with a man whose scent is reminiscent of that of their father’s, so be aware of the “scent of a man” that you leave behind.

In choosing a perfume or cologne that encapsulates your personality, one must be careful. Here is a little guide on what scents and brands say what about your character.

Casual: This is for the laid back guy or girl who is comfortable in his or her own skin. They’re not too fussy about appearances and are down to earth. Try a smooth blend of woody or mossy spices or light piquant citrus scents to convey your easygoing ways. Him: Giorgio Armani’s Acqua di Gio. Her: Clinique’s Happy

Young Urban Professional: This is for the go-getter with lots of ambition to succeed and dazzle all those who come their way. Go for the refreshing yet subtle sophistication of a modern brand like Issey Miyake’s L’Eau s’Issey or Hugo Boss’ Elements. These are sure to evoke your perfectionism in all arenas of life.

Classic: Save these for a special formal affairs, when you want to put a nice finishing touch to your debonair tux or gorgeous ball gown. The old-world elegance of Gucci or Chanel should do the trick. Him: Gucci’s Envy Her: Coco Chanel’s Chanel No. 5

MASCULINE MUSK

CASUAL: Giorgio Armani, Acqua di Gio

$60.00 (3.4 oz)

YUPPIE: Hugo Boss,

Boss Elements

$40.00 (1.7 oz)

CLASSIC: Gucci

Envy

$55.00 (3.4 oz)

SCENT OF A WOMAN

CASUAL: Clinique

Happy

$40.00 (1.7 oz)

YUPPIE: Issey Miyake

L’Eau d’Issey

$70.00 (1.7 oz)

CLASSIC: Coco Chanel

Chanel No. 5

$250.00 / oz.

Archived article by Sherry Jun