Sprint Football Suffers Loss to Midshipmen

After splitting it’s out-of-conference schedule, the sprint football team (1-2, 0-1 CSFL) opened it’s Collegiate Sprint Football season with a lopsided 45-7 loss to Navy Friday night.

Reigning CSFL MVP Chris Ashinhurst led the Midshipmen (4-0, 1-0) offense completing 15 of 23 pass attempts for a total of 225 and three touchdowns before he was spelled by backup quarterback Chris Maloney, who threw for 42 yards and one touchdown. Ashinhurst was named the CSFL Player of the Week for his effort.

Senior quarterback Charlie Tam completed a 9-yard reception to junior Henry Kim with 8:55 left in the game for the Red’s lone score, but it was too little too late. Navy had already built up an insurmountable 38 point deficit to insure the Midshipman victory.

The visitors, averaging over 300 yards per game of total offense, outdid themselves racking up over 400 yards of total offense in the game.

Navy running back Maurice Chapman recorded a 37-yard pass into the end zone to give the visitors a 7-0 lead 12:05 into the game and never looked back.

The team scored 24 points in the second quarter, including Maloney’s second TD of the game and a 20-yard field goal by Charlie Nash to put Navy ahead 31-0 at the half.

Cornell was unable to regroup as Navy scored 14 more points in the third quarter to top out at 45 total points on six touchdowns and the field goal.

The Red’s effort was hurt frequently by turnovers as Tim Gallagher and Josh Lowery each picked off a pair of Tam’s passes. Navy had a total of six interceptions.

Senior Eric Eisenhart and junior Tim LaFrance led Cornell’s defense recording nine tackles apiece. Eisenhart also had a fumble recovery and a blocked field goal.

The Red looks to even its record next weekend when it travels to Princeton for another CSFL match. Cornell already beat the Tigers this season, 22-12, in a non-conference game at Schoellkopf Field. The team returns home to host Penn on Oct. 25.

Archived article by Amanda Angel