Cross Country Hosts Reif Memorial Race

While the cross country team’s top runners take a week off in preparation for Heps next week, the squads’ supporting casts will take center stage today as Cornell hosts the Reif Memorial Run for the 16th year.

Background

John Reif ’86 was a member of the men’s cross country team during his years at Cornell. He was never the star of the team, but he was a consistent top-five finisher and a very supportive teammate.

In 1987 while training for a triathlon, Reif was killed in a collision with a truck. Each year since then, the Red has hosted this meet in his honor the week preceding Heps.

The men’s team comes off an impressive performance last week at pre-nationals, placing 18th out of a field of 36. The Red was paced by senior captain Dan Dombrowski, sophomore Bruce Hyde, and seniors Geoff Van Fleet and Barry Kahn. These four will take the week off, conceding the spotlight to some of their younger teammates, such as sophomore Emory Mort and juniors Dan Hart and Oliver Tassinari.

In last year’s Reif Memorial, Tassinari posted a then-personal best time of 16:36, placing third.

Lady Harriers

On the women’s side, last week’s experience at pre-nationals was not nearly as satisfying. Despite strong showings by sophomore Jenn Miel and senior Sara Karam, the team put on a disappointing showing, placing 22nd in the field of 37.

The Red will be paced today by seniors Natalie Whelan, sophomore Amber McGown, and freshmen Mandy Knuckles and Emily McCabe, all of whom put forth commendable efforts at last week’s Harry Anderson Invitational in Rochester, while their teammates competed at the pre-national meet in Terre Haute, Ind.

The Reif Memorial provides a more intimate setting than many of the meets the Red has competed in of late. In years past, the Red has hosted only one or two opponents at Moakley Course, a far cry from the large field present at pre-nationals.

Archived article by Owen Bochner