W. Polo Tops Skidmore, Improves Record to 4-0

photo
The women’s polo team extended its undefeated record to 4-0 when it traveled to Saratoga and faced Eastern Division rival Skidmore College this past Friday.

Cornell started the match with a strong offensive presence and controlled the ball from the beginning. The Red also managed to maneuver well despite the smaller size of Skidmore’s arena. Some riders felt that the size helped to bring out a different side of the team and provided a chance to highlight the finer elements of play.

“It was a very strategic game,” said senior Audrey Robertson. “We had a lot of fun.”

The women riders ended the evening with 22 goals. Senior Taylor McLean led the Red with nine, junior Harriet Antczak had seven and Robertson finished with six.

“It was a balanced performance where everyone got to contribute,” said head coach David Eldredge ’81.

Skidmore, billed as a strong riding team, performed well but could not compete with Cornell’s defense. The Thoroughbreds ended the night with just two goals, both of which came from breakaways.

“We went in expecting to win,” said Eldredge. “Skidmore is one of the weaker teams in the division.”

Friday’s match was also a homecoming of sorts for Robertson, who attended Skidmore for her freshman year.

“It was a lot of fun to play against people I know — it was very interesting to play against my old school,” said Robertson. She further commented that attending Skidmore did not provide any advantage in regards to knowledge of the polo string.

“The horse turnover rate is very high, said Robertson. “They also used their top horses.”

She went on to credit the victory to cohesive team play.

“As a whole, the three of us were really able to play as a team together.”

The two teams will meet again as Skidmore travels to Ithaca this Friday. The match will take place in the Oxley Equestrian Center at 8:15 p.m.

Archived article by Matt Janiga