Cornell Remains No. 4

Not much changed among the top-five college hockey teams in this week’s USCHO.com poll. Cornell remained in fourth in the poll for the third straight week after it swept Union and RPI on the road, 6-0 and 3-2, respectively. Maine tenuously held onto its No. 1 position with a three-point weekend at its Hockey East rival, Merrimack. The Black Bears tied 5-5 on Friday before eking out a 2-1 Saturday night win.

However, the No. 2 team, North Dakota with the best college hockey record (21-2-3) had one more first-place vote (20) than Maine (19). The Sioux outscored Alaska-Anchorage 14-2 and won both their games while on the road to move up a slot this week.

Colorado College traded places with North Dakota as it tied Michigan Tech in Michigan on Friday, but came back to win on Saturday. New Hampshire rounded out the top five with a pair of one-point wins over UMass. UNH tied Dartmouth 1-1 on Wednesday.

According to the objective Pairwise Rankings, which is used to predict the NCAA tournament selections, Maine is at first place, followed by Cornell and North Dakota tied at second, and Colorado College in fourth.

Harvard was the only other ECAC team to crack the top 15 staying in the lucky 13th slot. Ivy rivals Dartmouth and Yale received six and one point, respectively. The Crimson is still the point leader in the conference, but Cornell moved up to second place trailing Harvard by only four points with four fewer games.

No. 10 Ferris State is the CCHA conference leader, and Alabama-Huntsville leads the CHA. UNH and No. 6 Boston College are tied at the top of the Hockey East standings, while Maine was one point behind them. Quinnipiac is ahead of the MAAC and North Dakota and C.C. lead the WCHA with 25 points a piece.

Archived article by Sun Staff