Gymnastics Wins Tri-Meet

The gymnastics team took a huge step closer to the expectations reared from last year’s record-breaking season with its victory over Cortland and Wilson College this weekend in Newman Arena. Cornell scored a season-high mark of 187.125, with Cortland coming in second with a score of 182.625, and Wilson College setting a school record with a score of 170.100.

The Red continued its control over the uneven bars, taking the top five spots. Freshman Cathy Schnell took first with a 9.500, while also placing second in the vault and third in the floor exercise. Sophomores Allison Betof and Shellen Goltz tied for second place in the bars with 9.475 each, while classmates Andrea Mavro and Larissa Calka rounded out the top five. Calka once again captured the all-around title with fifth-place finishes on the vault and bars.

Cornell also swept top honors in the other individual events, taking first place finishes in each. Senior Shannon Weiman scored 9.575 to win the beam, with junior Denise Hurd seizing the vault with a score of 9.500, and junior Stefi Daehler claiming the floor with a 9.700.

Sophomore Meghan Miller contributed a third-place finish on the floor, while junior Katie Nicklas took fourth on the beam.

Up next for the Red is a visit to Rutgers on Feb. 8 when it takes on Pittsburgh and the Scarlet Knights and attempts to improve upon its current season-high mark.

Archived article by Danielle Nicholson