Women's Icers Hit the Road

The women’s hockey team heads to Hanover, NH tomorrow night to face the Green. On Sunday, Cornell will face the University of Vermont in Burlington.

The Red is coming off of its first ECAC win of the season against Yale this past weekend, and is looking to continue the trend.

When asked whether her team could maintain its current play, head coach Melody Davidson responded, “Oh, for sure. This team has to be given full credit. Nobody in there would let anybody quit.”

The Red will not be able to relax against either Dartmouth or Vermont, however. Dartmouth is currently ranked fourth in the nation, and has a plethora of high scorers. Vermont, on the other hand, has had a poor season, but the Catamounts will be hungry for their first ECAC win. Vermont also has a bona fide star in senior goaltender Tiffany Hayes. Hayes has a .916 save percentage this season.

“We’re just going to go in and play the same way we did against Princeton in terms of physicality, not give up the early goals, obviously, try to finish when we get the chance [like we did against Yale], and keep the score as tight as we can,” explained Davidson.

The Red, which looked disorganized early in the season, seems to have finally found its stride. This is largely due to leaders such as senior captain Brooke Bestwick and junior center Briana Jentner stepping up and making their presences known.

Bestwick had two assists in this past weekend’s win against Yale, and played an excellent defensive game.

“We have tremendous leadership with Bestwick, Jentner, and Ellis,” said Davidson. “I just attribute [our recent success] to the leadership and character of the players.”

Archived article by Michael Pandolfini