Polo Squads Host Toronto

The men’s and women’s polo teams will play the Toronto club team again this weekend in preparation for next weekend’s Eastern Regional championships.

While most coaches would be intimidated to face off against a semi-professional club, head coach David Eldrege ’81 is confident that his team is on par.

“They’re definitely playing at that level,” said Eldrege. “Close to the same level, if not equal, and they’re doing very well.”

The women’s team suffered its first loss of the season to Toronto earlier in February, and may incur another this weekend.

Star rider Molly Buck was injured in practice this week when she was struck in the arm with a ball. While Buck’s presence will be missed tonight, she should be back in time for regionals.

Eldedrge noted that her injury was not extreme.

“It’s nothing serious, just a bruise at this point,” he said.

The men’s team, on the other hand, is at full health and strength. Eldedrge actually feels as if he’s bolstered his lineup by improving senior J.P. LeClair’s offensive presence.

“He’s taken more of an active part in the offensive end, which is where we need him to take a stance,” he said. “He’s really taking steps.”

The Cornell-Toronto connection goes back to Red polo founder, Doc Roberts. Besides starting the sport at Cornell, Roberts also ran several clinics in Toronto. Through his efforts, a club team was born.

Both matches take place at the Oxley Equestrian Center, with the men set to start at 7:30 p.m. tonight, and the women at 8:15 p.m. tomorrow.

Archived article by Matt Janiga