Fencers Qualify One At NCAA's Regionals

Freshman Meghan Phair finished second in the epee competition of the NCAA northeast regionals this weekend in New York City. Cornell’s other eight qualifiers also did extremely well, with all of them finishing in the top 30 of their respective competitions.

Between Phair’s regular season standing and second place finish, she also earned a trip to the upcoming NCAA national tournament. Head coach Al Peters was pleased with her performance, noting that it marks a step in the right direction for Cornell’s fencing program.

“At the regional championships she just kept winning and ended up second overall,” said Peters. “It’s really exciting. It shows us that we’re moving in the right direction.”

Senior Siobhan Cully also participated in the epee contest, and finished 15th. Peters praised the veteran for her leadership and talent.

“She’s an outstanding athlete and an outstanding fencer,” he said. “She didn’t have the best semester, but she’s still an outstanding fencer. Her 13th place finish is very well.”

Junior Valerie DeRose provided another bright spot for Cornell, finishing 22nd in the foil competition. Noting her improved success on the season, Peters will look to her for leadership and wins next season.

“Valarie has been remarkable,” said Peters. “She has fit into the program, adapted and has been wonderfully successful during the year. I think next year she’s going to make a lot of people open their eyes.”

Archived article by Matt Janiga