Golf Places Fourth at LeMoyne

The golf team rapidly improved upon its mediocre play of late this past weekend, to earn a fourth place finish at the LeMoyne Invitational in Syracuse.

After finishing 15th out of 21 teams two weeks ago, Cornell leapt up in the 18-team field this weekend with a much-improved long game, helped by some fine weather and the course’s wide-open fairways.

Sophomore Kevin Scelfo tied for second individually, posting a two-day score of 150. Junior Chris Rogalski notched a 157 to tie for 13th, and freshman Andy Silva put up a 159 for a tie at 20th. Freshmen Andrew Turker (160, tied for 24th) and senior Ross LaFleur (162, tied for 33rd) rounded out the scoring for Cornell.

“Kevin Scelfo has definitely earned a spot in the Ivy League championships,” said head coach Matt Baughan. “We are still waiting to see how practice goes and how the other guys play to determine who else gets to go.”

All of the golfers will get the chance to show the coach what they can do this week and next, with plenty of good weather meaning lots of practice time, as well as a possible competition against Columbia.

“It takes a little time to get things going in the spring season,” said Baughan.

The members of the team have continued to struggle with their short games, which can likely be attributed to the limited practice they have been able to have on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Course. The improving weather of late has allowed the university to open the course this past weekend. Over the next couple of days, the Red will devote a great deal of practice time to chipping and putting.

“With the nice weather, we should be able to get out and practice more,” said Baughan, “The guys should be able to get out this week and get a few holes in before a possible match against Columbia.”

Although it has not been finalized, the golf team has made preliminary arrangements for the Columbia team to come up on Friday and play a practice round, and conclude the trip with a match against the Red on Saturday.

“We are starting to come into our own,” said Baughan.

Archived article by S.W. Falk