Tennis Teams Finish By Losing to Tigers

The men’s (16-7, 3-4 Ivy) and women’s (2-13, 0-7) tennis teams both fell to Princeton on Friday, yet the teams had vastly different contests.

The men battled the Tigers throughout the match at the Reis Tennis Center and fell by a score of 4-3. Earning singles victories for the team were junior Julian Cheng at the No. 2 spot and freshman Brett McKeon at the No. 4 spot, both in straight sets. With the victory, McKeon matched junior Scott Spencer for the most singles victories against Ivy competition at five wins apiece.

Spencer had just his second loss of the spring season, falling at the No. 5 spot in three sets after winning the first set 6-0. Spencer did, however, get a victory at the No. 1 doubles spot with classmate Michael Schlappig. The Red took the doubles point with a victory at the No. 3 spot, as juniors Scott Paltrowitz, and Zach Gallin — who returned from injury — posted a convincing 8-1 victory.

Gallin also returned to his normal No. 1 singles spot, but did not fare as well, falling in straight sets, to Trevor Smith of Princeton. Gallin noted that, “It was good to get back out there. It’s tough to sit and watch your team without being able to participate.” The Red completed their season with a 16-7 overall and 3-4 against strong Ivy competition.

The women struggled in their match, failing to win a set in singles play, eventually losing to the Tigers 7-0, at the Lenz Tennis Center at Princeton. The closest the women came to a victory was at the No. 2 doubles spot where sophomore Melissa Tu and freshman Kara Molloy fell 9-7.

The Red felt the wrath of a strong Princeton team who featured a nationally ranked player, Neha Uberoi at the No. 2 spot, who defeated junior Laura Leigh Tallent in straight sets. The women ended their season with a 2-13 overall record, and were winless in Ivy play at 0-7.

Archived article by Chris Mascaro