Softball's Senior Says Farewell

On a team that features the top two power hitters in the Ivy League and one of the best pitchers, the contributions of other players are sometimes lost. However, everyone who is associated with the Cornell softball program, from the coaches to the players to the fans, know that senior Drew Martin has been an invaluable part of the program for the past four seasons.

Martin came to the East Hill four years ago as a promising middle infielder. However, unfortunate physical setbacks over the course of her career have kept her from earning and keeping a steady spot in the lineup.

“Doogie’s winding down her career,” head coach Dick Blood said. “She’s been plagued by a bunch of nagging injuries that have prevented her from playing regularly for her four years.”

“My teammates over the years, they’ve been very, very supportive,” Martin said. “I had a lot of injuries over my career and missed a lot of games, but they’ve always been supportive both on and off the field.”

On a team that relies on the long ball for its offense, the little things that Martin does at the plate often go under the radar. The co-captain has hit just one homer and driven in 20 runs over the course of her career. However, she’s always been one of the best bunters and situational hitters on the team.

More importantly, Martin is one of the best defensive players on the Red. Blessed with the surest set of hands on the team, Martin has often been used as a defensive replacement in the late innings of close ballgames.

“She’s an outstanding defender, she gets some big hits,” Blood described.

For Martin, although she hasn’t enjoyed the glamorous career that others on the roster have, she looks back fondly on her time on the field.

“I absolutely could not imagine my Cornell career without softball,” Martin said. “The lessons it taught me, the way it developed my character, the people I’ve met … I’ve had a great career in softball. It was great for me, it was a winning program.”

The consummate team player, Martin points to winning a share of the Ivy League title in 2001 and earning the automatic NCAA tournament bid by sweeping Harvard in a playoff as being her top Cornell moment.

“I just remember rushing onto the field jumping for joy and proving that we should have been Ivy League champions ourselves,” Martin said. “That was an amazing experience as a team.”

With two non-conference games remaining and possibly postseason play on the horizon, Martin’s coaches and teammates are hoping to give her the proper send-off.

“We’re hoping to win an Ivy championship for her or get into the ECAC tournament so she can play a few more games,” Blood said.

Regardless of how her career ends, Martin sees nothing but positives from her involvement with the Red.

“I’ve had nothing but positive experiences from Cornell softball, and I’m glad I stuck with it and made it part of my college experience,” Martin said.

Archived article by Alex Ip