W. Soccer Plays Red-White Game

Despite a sky that threatened rain and an oh-so-Ithaca early chilly breeze, the women’s soccer team brought its battle to the forefront yesterday at Berman Field. Shouting with enthusiasm and working together as a solid united front, the season started off at a fast pace with a 3-3 Red-White tie. Although just an intrasquad scrimmage, the players fought each other with ferocity. Cornell opens its season this Friday at 4 p.m. against Stony Brook.

“This is a time of optimism. We’re very happy because the players have improved as a team,” Cornell head coach Berhane Andeberhan said. “The returning players from spring are even better than before, and everyone came at a match fitness level. The new recruits are helping a lot. We have a good, solid team this year.”

The game started off with an unexpected twist as the White scored on its own goal in the first 15 minutes of the game. Yet, it was quick to retaliate, scoring only seven minutes later. The Red came back with a nicely assisted shot by senior Leann Schwartz, bringing the score to a 1-1 tie.

However, with 10 minutes left in the game, the Red team’s hope of a draw almost vanished, as sophomore Alison Gombar scored a remarkably accurate free kick into the right corner of the goal to give the White team a late one-goal edge.

The Red equalized in the final of play, though, as junior striker Emily Wyffels broke away with the ball and scored, closing the game with a 2-2 tie.

This year’s team boasts 13 returning players and eight new recruits. Senior defender Lindsey Rovegno returns as co-captain, sharing her leadership duties with classmates Emily Knight and Jo Galardy.

“We are doing well as a team,” Rovegno said. “We have some strong returning players. Great people, great players.”

Archived article by Dona Hettiarchy