Around the Ivies

The fall season is in full swing and action around the Ancient Eight is beginning to heat up. With all eight teams in action in men’s and women’s soccer, and field hockey, and football getting ready to kick off this weekend, it’s an exciting time around the League.

Men’s Soccer

Conference games won’t begin for a few weeks, but all eight schools opened their seasons this weekend. Friday night, Brown joined Cornell as the only teams to capture game one wins. While the Red spanked St. Bonaventure up and down Berman Field, Brown upset national powerhouse Stanford in Providence.

Princeton and Penn dropped 1-0 decisions to Villanova and Lehigh, respectively, while Yale fell 2-0 to Wisconsin. Harvard played Vermont to a 0-0 draw, while Dartmouth’s match against Duquesne was postponed.

The fun continued Saturday afternoon, as the Green and Columbia both opened their seasons with road matches. Dartmouth won the make-up against Duquesne 1-0, while the Lions fell to local rival Hofstra by that same tally.

Every school but Columbia returned to action Sunday. Yale, Princeton, and Harvard each picked up their seasons’ first wins, though Penn again fell in overtime, this time against Villanova. Meanwhile, Brown improved to 2-0, topping Wisconsin 4-3.

Women’s Soccer

The second week of action on the women’s side was similarly successful for the Ancient Eight. Five Ivy schools won last Friday, including Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Princeton, and Yale.

Sunday saw similar success from the Ancient Eight, as four schools again won their games, and one more tied.

Loyola of Illinois had a difficult run through the Ancient Eight over the weekend, falling 2-1 to Brown Friday, then 1-0 to Yale Sunday.

Conversely, Stanford enjoyed its East Coast swing much more, as the Cardinal notched victories over Harvard on Friday (2-1), and Dartmouth Sunday (1-0).

Field Hockey

League play began over the weekend for the stickwomen, as all teams opened their conference slates.

Friday night, Cornell ousted Columbia, 3-0, on Schoellkopf field. Junior Gena Testa scored her first two career goals for the Red in the win.

Saturday, the other six Ivies were in action. Brown topped Dartmouth, 3-2. Brooke Townsend scored all three goals for the Bears in the win. Princeton squeeked past Yale with a 5-4 win in overtime, as Natalie Martirosian scored the game winner 4:12 into the overtime period. Kelly Darling assisted on the goal. Kate Gannon’s overtime goal gave Harvard a 3-2 win over Penn.

Fun Stuff

According to our new favorite magazine, Sports Illustrated on Campus, The Sun is proud (or depressed) to report that Ashley Olsen is dating Columbia backup quarterback Matt Kaplan.

Watch out Coach Jeff Tambroni. Penn lacrosse freshman Luke Wilson hits the Ivy turf this spring.

Around the Ivies will appear weekly this semester.

Archived article by Owen Bochner