Burke Hired as Assistant

Robert Burke was recently named an assistant women’s hockey coach on head coach Melody Davidson’s staff. He will fill the vacancy created by the departure of Erin Magee. Burke’s experience as both a coach and player should prove invaluable to the team and be directly related to its success.

Davidson chose Burke after conducting a full search with invitations to apply posted online and through the NCAA. He was chosen out a pool of 50 applicants. Davidson finally offered Burke the job because of his experience with the game as a head coach and developer of amateur hockey and his desire to improve.

“He was passionate about the game, the season outlook, and coming to Cornell. I believe it’s huge that he displayed that,” said Davidson.

Burke spent the last three years as the head women’s hockey coach at Hamline University in St. Paul, Minn. During his tenure, Burke’s influence was evident both on and off the ice. He improved the status of the hockey team to the varsity level, producing several all-conference team players and one All-American. Burke also had a positive influence on his players’ performance in the classroom. Over his three years, his women’s hockey squad had 11 students placed on the Dean’s list and a cumulative grade point average of 3.12.

“Being the head coach of a Division III women’s [hockey] program, you are running the show from A to Z,” said Burke.

Besides coaching hockey, Burke served as the assistant softball coach at Hamline, while teaching courses in first aid, CPR, strength training, golf, and jogging.

Prior to his stay at Hamline, Burke spent two seasons (1995-1997) as the head coach and co-founder of the Virginia Commonwealth University Hockey Club. He then went on to co-found the Tidewater Amateur Hockey Association in Chesapeake, Virginia, serving as the first head coach (1999-2000) of the Tidewater Squirt. Burke led the team to a 37-13-5 record, including an 18-1-1 mark in league play.

Burke has also worked extensively with youth development hockey. He was the director of several hockey camps, including Robert Burke’s Hockey Works, Inc.

He is very excited about his new opportunity and challenge as Cornell’s assistant coach.

“Getting back east to where I want to be is a priority in my career. I have landed a great Division I Ivy League position under Coach Davidson, whose background is phenomenal. I am just very fortunate to be here,” said Burke.

Burke will first be seen on the sideline along with Davidson and fellow assistant coach Diane Dillon on November 7th when the Red open the season at home against Colgate.

“I am learning more about Cornell everyday,” said Burke. “There is a more concerted effort at the Division I level. That’s what exciting. This is a real program.”

Archived article by Bryan Pepper