Tennis Claims Four Titles at Invitational

Missing two of its top players was no cause for concern for the men’s tennis team in its season opening invitational last weekend. With senior co-captains Zach Gallin and Scott Paltrowitz competing in Princeton over the weekend, Cornell nevertheless produced solid results, capturing four of the six titles on the weekend.

The Fall Outdoor invitational, held at Reis Tennis Center, was an impressive showcase for Cornell’s incoming talent. Freshman newcomer, Nicholas Brummer, put in a dominant performance in the finals of the “B” singles draw defeating Stony Brook’s Jean-Francois Robitaille 6-1, 6-1. Brunner then teamed up with junior teammate Matt Cherner-Raff to win the “A” Doubles draw, beating Binghamton 8-4 in the finals. The team of Brunner and Cherner-Raff dropped only a combined 12 games in four matches on its road to the “A” Doubles title.

Freshmen, Charn Bak and Andrew Hong also made promising debuts, facing off against each other in the finals of the “D” Singles draw. Bak defeated Hong 6-4, 6-2 in a well-played match on both sides. Bak also paired up with junior teammate Sunil Iyer to reach the finals of “B” doubles draw. The team lost 8-6 in a contested final against Stony Brook’s team of Michael Crooks and James Carpenter.

Senior Michael Schlappig and freshman Daniel Brous both advanced to the finals of “C” singles draw and will play the deciding match later this week.

Junior Abedin Sham and senior Aravinda Neuman reached to the quarterfinals of the “A” Singles draw, before bowing out in hard fought losses to opponents from Binghamton and Stony Brook, respectively.

The invitational, an individual competition, brought teams from Yale, Connecticut, Binghamton, Middlebury, Stony Brook, and Maryland-Baltimore County (UMBC). The first competition of the year, it is an opportunity for the Cornell men to sharpen their skills for the fast approaching ECAC championships, to be played on Oct. 3-5.

With all of his starting lineup returning from last year, Head Coach Barry Schoonmaker has reason to expect improvements upon last season’s 16-7 (3-4 Ivy) record. Led by a healthy No. 1 singles player Zach Gallin, the team has a deep, experienced lineup that should be less vulnerable to injury, and with the promising debuts from the team’s freshmen this weekend, the Red is positioning itself for a run at this year’s Ivy League title.

“Singles and doubles should be strong, but we still need to be in better shape,” commented Schoonmaker.

Cornell plays next weekend, September 27-28 in New Haven, Connecticut, at the Yale Invitational.

“It should be a good test for us. With about half the league there, the competition is going to be a lot tougher,” said Schoonmaker, “It’ll be good preparation for the upcoming ECAC’s.”

Archived article by Paul Testa