Stickwomen Look to Put Brakes on Three-Game Skid

The field hockey team (2-4, 1-1 Ivy) will spend its second consecutive weekend on the road, as it heads to New Haven, Conn. to face off against Yale (1-4, 0-1 Ivy) tomorrow and Rhode Island (3-5) on Sunday. Times have been tough for the Red, as it has dropped its last three contests. This streak includes a shutout last weekend by league-foe Penn, 3-0, and a defeat to Lafayette, 4-1.

One thing that has been a tough adjustment for the Red this season is the new system that head coach Phillip Sykes has implemented.

“Right now, we have been adapting to a new system of play. But each day we have been improving and becoming more comfortable with each other and with the system,” said senior goalie Kaitlin Tierney.

“One of our main focuses this year has not been our opposition but ourselves and how we play,” said Sykes.

On the bright side, the Red saw several noteworthy performances last weekend. Tierney put up a valiant effort, stopping a season-high 11 shots against a Lafayette offense that outshot the Red, 27-8. Senior tri-captain Karleigh Burns also recorded her first goal of the season against the Leopolds. Three freshmen for the Red, Lisa Kenney, Sara Miller, and Lindsay Moyer, have been valuable additions to the team so far into the season.

Though the Bulldogs have only won one game so far this season, their record is misleading. This is a team that is better than the one the Red beat 1-0 a year ago in Ithaca. Two of their losses have come in overtime, including a heartbreaking 5-4 loss to defending Ivy champion Princeton. This contrasts with the year before, when Yale fell to the Tigers, 7-0.

Another loss the Bulldogs suffered was against nationally-ranked Boston University, 1-0. The Bulldogs have six seniors in their lineup, including a top-notch goalie in first-team All-Ivy selection Krissy Nesberg, who registered 10 saves last weekend against BU. Juniors Sarah Driscoll and Meredith Hudson lead a prolific Yale attack that Cornell’s defense will need to contain.

Rhode Island’s season has been up and down thus far, as the Rams have claimed wins over Siena, Albany, and Fairfield. It is already a marked improvement from last year’s record of 1-17. The Rams have matched up well against Ivy competition this season, dropping contests by only one goal against both Brown (2-1) and Yale (1-0).

The Rams have had offensive production from many members of their team, including seniors Kylie LaChapelle and Heather Scherick and juniors Kelly Johnson and Joy Hess. Jennifer Perry has been solid in net for the Rams and recently earned her first shutout of the season against Fairfield.

Game time for the Red is 12 p.m. tomorrow and 3 p.m. on Sunday.

Archived article by Chris Callanan