F. Hockey Hosts 'Gate

The Red stickwomen seem to face more and more heartache as the season wears on. Wednesday, it was a double overtime defeat at the hands of Syracuse.

The Red lit up the scoreboard first in the rare, mid-week contest on a goal from senior Carissa Mirasol off of a rebound, just under two minutes into the second half. With the goal, Mirasol, an All-Ivy first team selection from a year ago, has just one on the season, after tallying 15 in her first three seasons.

Interim head coach Phil Sykes said, “We’ve been a bit tentative in our scoring opportunities,” and attributes that to Mirasol’s and the team’s lack of goals on the season.

Sykes was right on point, as he saw his team squander many good looks during the game, recording just four shots on goal.

This opened the door for the Orange, which was playing in its final home game of the season, to tie the game up with just over five minutes left in the contest, off a penalty corner. The goal was scored by sophomore Michelle Sola, for her sixth of the season, off a feed from senior Jackie Sheaffer.

Syracuse managed just six shots in regulation, but came out firing in overtime.

Senior goalie Kaitlin Tierney made three of her four saves in the first overtime, as Syracuse attempted six goals in the period.

The second overtime period was no different, as the Orange scored the game-winner just over a half a minute into the period. It was scored by junior Lindsay Pierson, to improve Syracuse to 7-10 on the season.

With the loss, the Red has dropped four in a row and 10 of its last 11 contests. But the team is not giving up.

“My ultimate goal was to improve every game, and the goal is still the same,” mentioned Sykes, who will end his term as head coach at the end of the season. Yet before he goes, he will lead his squad against Colgate tomorrow on Senior Day.

Sykes knows the added importance of this game for the seniors in their last home game ever.

When speaking of the senior corps, he noted, “All seven came in together, and have been impact players from the beginning.”

Out of the seven, Mirasol, Lindsay Grace, and Kimmy Gardner were All-Ivy selections last season. The rest of the group includes Karleigh Burns, who entered the season with 24 career points, and currently leads the Red in goals, two tough defenders, Kelly Soltis and Ali Winsky, and their net-minder Tierney.

The group has never lost to Colgate, outscoring it, 8-1, in the last three contests, and looks to continue much of the same this weekend, and then end the season against Dartmouth on a high note.

Archived article by Chris Mascaro