W. Icers Drop Opener

After three losing seasons, senior captain Briana Jentner is not ready to get depressed about this season following the first weekend of play.

“There’s not a single person on our team saying, ‘Here we go again,'” noted Jentner.

Jentner and the Red came up short against Colgate, 2-0, in their first game of the season. The Red, who played host to the Raiders, had five penalties. The most costly of the five being senior assistant captain Ali Simpson’s body checking penalty in the second period, which led to a power play goal. The goal, which proved to be the game-winner, was scored by Cheryl Setchell of the Raiders with assists from Micki King and Avery McGlenn.

The second period proved to be the Red’s downfall as it was the only period that the Raiders out shot the Red with an 11-4 advantage. Cornell edged the Colgate the first and third periods, but lost the overall shots on goal battle, 25-22. All 22 shots from the Red were saved by Raider Rebecca Lehar for her first shutout of the season, while sophomore Flora Vineberg made 23 stops for the Cornell.

The victory improved the Raiders record to 6-2-1 and was each team’s first contest against another ECAC opponent.

The Red got on the scoreboard the next day against Clarkson, but still fell short, 2-1.

The first goal of the season for the Red was scored by sophomore Vicki Hodgkinson in the second period to even the contest at one goal apiece. Assisting on the play was fellow sophomore Andrea Skinner. The goal came just three and a half minutes after Christina Valesente put the puck past Vineberg for Clarkson’s first score. The Red’s goal came on one of its 14 shots in the second period, which matched its shots on goal for the first and third periods as well. It out shot the Black Knights 42-23 for the entire game.

“We did have the scoring opportunities, it just wasn’t bouncing our way,” said Jentner about the large shot differential.

The game winning goal came at 15:06 in the third period when Courtney Bills fed Lindsay Williams for the score.

Vineberg made 21 saves, but it wasn’t enough as Clarkson goalie Stephanie Hanson knocked away 41 shots to improve the Black Knight’s record to 5-1-1 and a win in their first ECAC contest.

“We need to be more hungry around the net, which is something we are working at in practice,” said Jentner about capitalizing on more scoring chances.

Yet it was penalties which proved to be the Red’s downfall this weekend. Cornell notched 11 penalties in the two contests and allowed two crucial power play goals. The Red also came up empty in its power play opportunities, going 0-5 over the weekend.

The Red will look to record its first win this weekend when it plays host to St. Lawrence.

Archived article by Chris Mascaro