Fencers Tussle With Bulldogs

photo
The fencing team will face stiff competition at Yale University and the Dickinson College Holiday Invitational this weekend.

The Red will travel to New Haven, Conn., for its second Ivy League matchup tomorrow. Cornell fell to Harvard last weekend and currently has an 0-1 record in Ivy League action. This weekend will be the first match of the season for most Ivy League teams.

“[Yale is] very, very tough,” said coach Al Peters. “They are one of the Ivy League powerhouses. I’m very excited about the prospect of going up against [Yale].”

To regroup from the Harvard loss and prepare for Yale, the fencers have been running through individual lessons, tactical drills, and group workouts in practices this week.

“We fenced very strongly,” Peters said of the disappointing loss last weekend.

He added that the key to a better showing this weekend will be refocusing the foil competitors. The Red did not win a single match in that weapon against Harvard.

On Sunday, the Red will move on to Dickinson College, located in Carlisle, Penn. This tournament is put on by the National Intercollegiate Women’s Fencing Association. It will feature individual competition rather than team rankings. Up to two dozen squads are expected to compete.

This will be the Red’s last competition of the fall semester. The team will not compete over the break. Instead, it will focus on resting and recuperating from the fall semester.

Athletes will be expected to stay fit, keep their minds sharp, and get lots of rest over the break. Most will be practicing with club teams in their home areas or working on conditioning.

The Red will return to action on Jan. 25, when the team will head to Vassar for a match.

Before vacation, however, the Red must stay focused on the tough competition it will face this weekend.

“[The Ivy League] does not have a clear leader yet,” Peters said.

The performance of the Red this weekend could change that.

Archived article by Olivia Dwyer