Bulldogs Dropped By Under 18 Team

photo
Feeling cooped up in your room after the most recent snowstorm? Do you think you may never escape Ithaca, N.Y.? Although we may be out of luck, take heart in these delightful tidbits of life in other places.

Brown

The Brown Athletic Department recently created a website touting the exploits of its All-American men’s hockey goalie Yann Danis and pushing him for the Hobey Baker Award. While the Danis for Hobey website pales in comparision to the Joey Harrington for Heisman billboard that the University of Oregon bought in Times Square several seasons ago, it is nonetheless a rarity for an Ivy League university.

For the record, Danis has a 1.57 GAA and a 0.949 save percentage for the No. 13 Bears. In comparison, Cornell’s David LeNeveu ’05 recorded an NCAA record-breaking 1.20 GAA and a 0.940 save percentage last season.

LeNeveu was a Hobey Hat Trick Finalist but finished second behind Colorado College’s Peter Sejna.

Columbia

In celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Columbia-Barnard consortium, the university will be holding a celebration on Feb. 6-7. During the weekend, a list of dignitaries will speak, including Ivy League Executive Director Jeffrey Orleans and Olympic Gold Medalist Summer Sanders.

Meanwhile, former Columbia football star and all-pro of the San Diego Chargers Marcellus Wiley is set to appear on an upcoming episode of TLC’s While You Were Out. The show is set to air tomorrow.

Finally, Lions athletic director John Reeves will be retiring at the end of the academic year.

Dartmouth

While the men’s hockey team might have made the headlines by beating Cornell at Lynah Rink, it’s the ladies in Green that have been the most impressive team in the state of New Hampshire. For the first time since the end of the 2000-01 season the women’s hockey team was ranked the top team in the land in the weekly USCHO.com poll.

Maybe the lady icers could share some of their success with the swimming and diving teams. Both the men’s and women’s teams, which were up for auction on eBay just a year ago, were dominated this past weekend by Princeton.

Harvard

The athletes in Cambridge haven’t had much on their plates over the last several weeks because of study period and final exams, but that will all change this coming weekend, as the sports teams resume play.

The big game of the week is Cornell at Harvard … in basketball. Fans in Ithaca and Cambridge might not agree, but the YES Network does. It’s carrying the game live on Friday night.

Penn

What’s going on with the men’s basketball team? The two-time defending league champions are languishing in the middle of the Ivy pack. OK, so the team has yet to play a conference game, but trouble is on the horizon for the perennial Ivy power.

Penn’s star guard Jeff Schiffner, a first-team All-Ivy selection a year ago must have lost his shooting touch over a cheesesteak. After making almost half of his shots from behind the arc last season, he’s shooting just 35 percent from three-point land this year. The Penn faithful instead have been extolling the virtues of their standout freshman forward Mark Zoller.

As good as Zoller is though, if a team that has won 23 consecutive conference games and has gone to the NCAA tournament the past two years is pinning its hopes on a rookie, something is wrong.

Princeton

While it is using the same backdoor-cutting style of offense, it’s clear that the Princeton men’s basketball isn’t the same old team that used to bleed the clock.

The Tigers re