Baseball Loses 4 Games

In a season where the Cornell baseball team has witnessed several multi-game losing streaks come and go, and its chances of achieving a winning record all but disappear, this weekend’ s games against Brown and Yale could have been a silver lining on a dark cloud. But they weren’t, and the Red dropped all four games of its doubleheader to the Bears on Friday and the Bulldogs on Saturday.

The Red lost its first contest in Providence by a 10-7 score, despite six extra-base hits. The Red was led at the plate by senior Ned VanAllan who was 3-3 with two runs batted in and two runs scored. Right behind him was sophomore William Pauly, who tallied a double and a triple on the day and had one run batted in. Freshman Kaleb Hutchinson was also 2-3 with a homerun and two runs scored.

Yet the Red, which was leading 5-4 after the top of the sixth, unraveled, as the Bears tallied six runs in the bottom of the inning to take the lead for good. Sophomore Rocky Collis lasted just one out of the fifth inning and took the loss after going 5 1/3. During that span he gave up eight runs on six hits and struck out six Brown hitters. Collis, who fell to 2-4 on the season, was relieved by freshman Blake Hamilton, who gave up two of the six runs for the Bears on three hits in the sixth inning .

It was the Red which came up with a big inning in game two of the doubleheader, as it tallied seven runs in the top of the fourth to take a 7-6 lead. The inning started with the Red loading the bases as Pauly and Hutchinson were each hit by a pitch and VanAllan reached on an error before sophomore Michael Weiss drove in Pauly for the Red’ s first run. The scoring continued as senior David Bredhoff drove in a walk by earning a bases-loaded base-on-balls. The Red continued the merry-go-round on the base paths as sophomore Seth Gordon was hit by a pitch to drive in a run. The next two runs in the inning came on a two-run single from senior co-captain Dan Parant, and the final two were on a two-run double off the bat of junior Matt Miller.

In spite of the Red’ s hot streak, the Bears took the lead back for good in a three-run rally in the bottom of the sixth.

Cornell made a last ditch effort with two runs in the top of the seventh and another run in the top of the eighth on a VanAllen homer. Yet it wasn’t enough, as the Bears tacked on four runs off of junior Conor Kelly in the bottom of the seventh .

The loss, however, went to junior Tad Bardenwerper, who went six innings, giving eight earned runs on 11 hits, while walking four Brown hitters and striking out three. With the loss, Bardenwerper dropped to 0-2 on the season.

Senior Dan Baysinger dropped to 0-3 the following day in the first game of a doubleheader against Yale. Baysinger had a solid outing, going the distance for the Red, striking out 11, while giving up six runs, three of them earned.

The Red held the lead after the top of the third, fourth, and fifth innings, only to have Yale tie it up in the bottom of the third and fourth, and then take the lead for good with four runs in the bottom of the fifth. The winning run was scored on one of the Red’ s two errors in the game.

Tallying RBIs for Cornell were senior co-captain Jon Finch, who was 1-3, and sophomore Matt Goodson, who blasted his second round-tripper of the year. In game two of the doubleheader, the Red’ s lone runs came in the top of the eighth inning as Miller singled home Gordon, and Pauly, who was 3-4 in the contest, drove in Parant on a base hit. The runs brought Cornell within one run of the Yale who scored a run in the first, third, and fifth innings.

Yet the Bulldogs tacked on three more runs in the bottom of the eighth and won the game 6-2.

Senior Luke Staskal took the loss, dropping to 0-3 on the season, after giving up nine hits and five earned runs, while striking out seven in his 7 1/3 innings of work.

With the 0-4 weekend the Red drops to 1-7 in the Ivy League and 4-19 overall. The Red will battle LeMoyne on Tuesday before traveling to Philadelphia next weekend to take on Penn in a pair of doubleheaders in the Gehrig Division opener for each team.

Archived article by Chris Mascaro
Sun Assistant Sports Editor