Men's Tennis to Face Yale and Brown on the Road

The men’s tennis team lost its first Ivy League match of the season last weekend, a 6-1 defeat at the hands of Harvard. The Red dropped to 2-1 in conference play, after winning its second match of the season against rival Dartmouth earlier in the weekend. Although the Crimson proved to be a difficult match for the Red, its Ivy League schedule will not become any easier. Cornell will visit Yale today followed by a match tomorrow against Brown.

“We are really psyched,” said senior co-captain Scott Paltrowitz. “This is going to be a huge weekend.”

The Bulldogs come into the match with an 8-10 record, including an 0-1 Ivy League mark. Yale is coming off a loss to Princeton, 5-2, as the team lost all three doubles matches.

“When we were at Yale two years ago, we had a great match and we were able to pull it out,” Paltrowitz said . “We are ready for another battle.”

While the Bulldogs have struggled this season, Brown has not, as the team has climbed to a No. 44 national ranking. The Bears have posted a 16-5 overall record, with a spotless 2-0 Ivy League mark. The Bears had no trouble beating Princeton last Saturday, winning by a score of 7-0. The Bears won two of the three doubles matches against the Tigers, while sweeping the singles part of the draw. The team is led at the top by senior Jamie Cerretani, who has been dominant at No. 1 singles and No. 3 doubles all season long.

“We have a great opportunity to play against Brown,” Paltrowitz said. “They are ranked about 40 something in the country, but we feel we are a stronger team and that we can take them down this weekend. We haven’t beaten them since I have been here and we are hoping this is the year.”

With the men’s team looking to rebound off of last weekend’s loss, the women’s team has a similar goal. The Red is fresh off two tough Ivy League defeats, falling to Dartmouth and Harvard. The team’s Ivy League record dropped to a lowly 0-3, as Cornell has lost a combined four in a row, after winning five straight to start the spring season. The Red will look to rebound this weekend against Yale and Brown. Junior Erika Takeuchi feels that the team’s struggles have only made it stronger.

“I think the losses will help us in the fact that we know that every match in the Ivy League is going to be a tough one,” Takeuchi said.

While the Red has yet to win its first Ivy League match, Yale has yet to lose one. The Bulldogs have started off with a 2-0 record, with victories over Princeton and No. 49 Penn. Against the Quakers, the Bulldogs won five of the six singles matches to capture a convincing win over a highly ranked opponent. The team is led by No. 1 singles player Christine Alford, who upset Penn’s No. 77 ranked Nicole Ptak last weekend.

“We are just trying to stay focused,” Takeuchi said. “We have been preparing all year for this and we are trying to let our practice fuel our performance.”

Like Cornell, Brown has yet to win its first Ivy League match, starting off the season 0-2. Last weekend, the Bears lost a heartbreaker to Princeton in a match that could have easily gone either way.

“The Ivy League has been pretty open,” Takeuchi said, “and I feel that we have a good chance of winning this weekend.”

Archived article by Bryan Pepper